The quintessential course in sake for professionals and enthusiasts seeking to develop high-level knowledge of this unique beverage.
About the course
New to the WSET School London in 2014, this course takes an in-depth look at the fascinating world of sake. Through the course you will gain a detailed understanding of the various production methods and their impact on style, quality and price. You will taste a wide range of sakes, many of which are rarely available outside of Japan, to complement your theoretical learning and build your analytical tasting skills.
Successful students will receive a WSET certificate and lapel pin, and will be able to use the associated WSET certified logo.
- The main techniques that are used in the production of sake and how they influence style and quality
- The principal and speciality categories of sake
- The sake industry and the commercial importance of sake in the Japanese and export markets
- The principles behind the storage, selection and service of sake
- Tutored tastings of approximately 37 sakes
- How to taste sake, and evaluate quality, identity and price, using the WSET Level 3 Systematic Approach to Tasting Sake® (SAT)
Do I need any prior knowledge?
No prior learning in the subject is required to enrol on this course, however, students will be required to complete a monitored online study programme which will commence two weeks before attending the classroom-based element of the course. All study materials for this course will be made available online upon your enrolment.
All classes are delivered in English therefore a good level of English is beneficial.
What study options are available?
At WSET School London we offer this classroom-based course over four consecutive days. When planning your study you should allow for two weeks of online study time before the course starts, in addition to study time during the course. Please note the consecutive day delivery is intensive.
This course is not currently available online.
9.00am – 5.00pm
Four consecutive days
How much does it cost?
The cost includes all study materials, sake samples, tuition, six ISO tasting glasses, examination and postage.
The examination takes place during the last session of the course. It comprises two parts and lasts 2 hours and 15 minutes overall. Students must pass both parts of the examination paper in order to achieve the Level 3 Award in Sake:
- A theory paper of 50 multiple-choice questions and three short answer questions
- A tasting paper consisting of a blind tasting of two sakes
Both parts of the examination require a minimum mark of 55% to pass.
How can I book?
Bookings can be made online by first selecting your preferred course date from our calendar. Alternatively, you can complete and return the booking form (included at the back of the prospectus below) or call our Student Services team on +44 (0)20 7089 3841.
Please read the terms and conditions before making a booking.
This is a very well organised and detailed sake education course. You will gain valuable insights into the world of sake from many different angles.